I love this idea from Casa Sugar! After living with someone who was always late because he couldn't find his keys, I started the habit of dropping my keys in a bowl by the front door when I get home. (Sound familiar?)
This is a pretty easy DIY project for the lost key person in your life.
Here are the instructions:
- Key images, or another motif
- Mod Podge (a glue/sealer found in most art/craft stores)
- A glass bowl
- Two foam brushes
- Latex paint in the color of your choice
- An acrylic sealer (optional)
- Cut out the image(s) you want to use from the background. Magazines, books, and antique prints are a great place to look for your images.
- Clean the glass bowl or plate (a household glass cleaner will do).
- Find a household object to prop up your bowl, with the underside facing up, so you don’t paint the table you’re using.
- Use a foam brush to apply Mod Podge to the front of your image. Adhere the image to the underside of your bowl, so you can see it from the front.
- Seal the entire back of the plate (and back of image) with a few coats of Mod Podge. Let each coat dry before you move on to the next. Let dry.
- Use a different foam brush to apply a coat of your Latex paint to the back of your bowl or plate. Let dry. Continue to add coats until it is no longer see-through from the front, letting dry between coats. The number of coats necessary is dependent on the darkness of the paint color you choose.
- Once dry, seal the paint in with Mod Podge or an acrylic sealer.