I'm a sponge from any information having to do with creating a happy, healthy, beautiful home. So when I came across an article titled, "Ten products you should ban from your home forever," it got my attention.
The #1 item is Non-Stick Pans. Now, I've read previously that non-stick pans can contribute to Alzheimer's disease when the pan becomes scratched, revealing the unprotected toxic layers below the surface. When I saw a war-torn pan at my parent's home, I panicked, telling my mom that's she's killing her memory one omelette at a time.
But the information from the article is even more disturbing.
When non-stick pans were first introduced into American households in the 1960s, they were thought to be a Godsend. Gone were the days of soaking pans for hours and scouring pots with steel wool. In the forty years since then, however, we’ve learned that the ease of cleaning comes at a steep price: the coating that makes Teflon pans non-stick is polytetrafluoroethylene, or PTFE for short. When PTFE heats up, it releases toxic gasses that have been linked to cancer, organ failure, reproductive damage, and other harmful health effects.
The problems with PTFE-coated pans seem to occur at high temperatures, so if you must use Teflon, cook foods on medium heat or less. Avoiding non-stick pans altogether is the safest option. If you’re able to do so, try anodized aluminum, stainless steel, or cast iron pans with a little cooking oil. Using a lower setting on the stove will reduce the chances that your food will burn, which is how it usually gets stuck to pans the first place. If you’re worried about the extra calories cooking oil adds, try baking or steaming your food.
Sounds like some elbow grease is in order, doesn't it!
To learn about the other 9 items to ban from your home, read the entire article here.